Is Craft Smart Acrylic Paint Toxic Or Safe?

You have a bunch of Craft Smart Acrylic Paint but do not know whether it is safe or toxic for you or your kids? 

Do not worry because you have come to the right place because I have some interesting facts to share with you. I had to do a lot of research to input all the authentic information in this article.

Is Craft Smart acrylic paint toxic or safe? Yes, Craft Smart acrylic paint is a non-toxic paint and it is not hazardous at all. But if this paint somehow gets inside your body then you may feel bad or even get an allergic reaction. But that only happens if consumed in larger amounts. Try to keep an eye on your kids or pets so that they do not swallow the paint.

Keep reading this article if you want to know more about the safety limit of Craft Smart acrylic paint. I hope you will love exploring such art facts.

Is Craft Smart Acrylic Paint Toxic Or Safe?

Factors To Look At To Ensure Non-Toxic Quality Of Craft Smart Acrylic Paint?

I know I have already told you that Craft Smart acrylic paint is non-toxic paint. But that is because it lacks some of the toxic factors that are present in other types of paints. Some of them I will discuss below. 

#1 Ingredients In The Formula

There are some ingredients that acrylic paint usually needs for various reasons. Some can be used for the color or some ingredients are used to make it weather-proof.

Luckily, Craft Smart Acrylic Paint mostly do not have such things and even if they have any of them then they are below toxic level. I will add a table below. 

Mercury (cause poisoning and nerve damage only if accumulated in the body)Magnesium
Chromium (harmful for lungs, maybe cancerogenic)Crystalline silica (cancerogenic if inhaled)
Manganese (overexposure may damage nervous system)Propylene glycol (bad for the environment)
Quinacridones (used for pigments, bad for skin and eyes)Mica (bad for lungs)

Formaldehyde (may be released when the paint dries).
Ammonia (also when dries)
StrontiumTitanium dioxide (white pigment, cancerogenic only if sprayed and inhaled)
Zinc (fever, chills, muscular pain, or nausea if over-exposed)Copper (harmful only if inhaled or swallowed)
Arsenic (cancerogenic if accumulated in the body)Cerulean (for blue pigments, causes skin irritation)
Carbon Black (cancerogenic)Cobalt (skin and breathing issues)
Nickel (cancerogenic if ingested).Cadmium (for cadmium colors, yellows and reds, cancerogenic only if inhaled)
Biocide (preservatives, rarely may cause allergy)Lead (for pigments, very rare today)

#2 Presence Of Toxins

Before buying acrylic paints, be sure they are safe. Always use acrylic paints that carry an ASTM warning and are labeled as non-toxic. This notice informs you that the paint is non-toxic 

Additionally, propylene glycol, an element that is bad for the environment but not for individuals, is included in acrylic paints. As a result, you need to take care with how to deal with this paint.

#3 Safety Of The Workplace

To prevent breathing in dangerous chemicals, make sure you always operate in a well-ventilated space. When painting, you should often wash your hands to prevent accidentally ingesting paint.

Sanding the surface is not advised if you are working in a small space. Instead, carry out this action while working outside.

It is also advised to use safety gear, such as a breathing mask, to prevent inhaling paint or dust. Avoid acrylic paints that contain hazardous pigments and go for the safer options instead.

Are Craft Smart Acrylic Paints Safe For Children?

Painting is a fantastic activity to keep kids busy and content. But is this Craft Smart Acrylic Paints safe for your kid, though?

There are variations in the composition of acrylic paints. Children can safely use non-toxic paints, but you should still keep an eye on them while they’re using them.

Precautions To Be Followed By Children

Despite the fact that acrylic paint is non-toxic, there are a few precautions you should take to protect your kids. This is due to the risk of injury that might result when youngsters paint with their fingers in their mouths.

  • Make a very careful decision while picking non-toxic acrylic paints.
  • To prevent poisons from touching your children’s skin while they paint, you must insist that they wear gloves or use wet wipes after every painting session.
  • Make sure your kids are using breathable masks.
  • Once they’ve finished painting, they should wash and remove all of the paint from their hands.
  • Make sure your kids are painting in a space that has good ventilation

Other Paints Safe For Children’s Use

Apart from Craft Smart acrylic paint there are also some other types of paint that are suitable for your kids and they are mostly non-toxic. 

  • Tempera Paint: Tempera Paint dries more quickly and is quite simple to clean. Both a powder and a liquid version are available, however the powder version is not appropriate for kids because the dust particles can be dangerous if breathed.
  • Finger Paint: Young painters would benefit most from using this kind of paint. Because of its formula, it is extremely simple to remove from hands and select finger paint with a creamy composition to avoid splashing.
  • Watercolor Paint: This kind of paint is quite colorful and it needs a surface with the greatest amount of absorption. It should thus be applied to heavy paper by kids.
  • Activity Paint: This paint is a fantastic paint option and it was made with children in mind. It is water-based and has a formula that resembles gel. This paint is versatile and straightforward to clean.

Toxicity Of Craft Smart Acrylic Paint If Swallowed

Craft Smart acrylic paint may not be hazardous but cheap acrylic can be extremely hazardous and cause health issues when taken in excessive quantities.

Acrylic paint is not advised to swallow as it will not digest properly inside and cause you trouble.

If anyone swallows the paint, be sure to thoroughly cleanse their lips and force them to drink a lot of water. If anyone ingested a significant amount of paint, call poison control or a physician.

Is Craft Smart Acrylic Paint Harmful To My Pets?

Pets can get quite interested and stray toward your workspace, recently painted items, and the location where you keep your painting equipment.

It’s possible for your dog or cat to lick or eat some of your Craft Smart Acrylic Paint. Since acrylic paint is water-based, dogs cannot be poisoned by it. It might irritate your pet’s skin and mucous membranes when consumed in little doses.

Large quantities of acrylic paint may cause major issues, including nausea and vomiting in your dog or cat. Do not hesitate to call your veterinarian if you also have symptoms like trembling, diarrhea, sadness, trouble breathing, or difficulty walking.

Can Craft Smart Acrylic Paint Cause Cancer?

Cancer cannot be contracted from Craft Smart acrylic paints as it bears the non-toxic label. But certain acrylic paints have dangerous heavy metals including cobalt, cadmium, and chromium.

These substances have been classified as risky and damaging. Therefore, read the label while purchasing paint.

The issue with heavy metals is that when exposed in large doses, they can cause cancer in humans.

For instance, a study determined that the chemical with the largest health risk in face paints is chromium. So, you should always be careful before you purchase paint.

However, ordinary painters and craftspeople are not truly given access to such high levels of chemicals.

Are Craft Smart Acrylic Paints Dangerous When You Consume It?

A product’s non-toxic label does not guarantee that it is safe to eat. Therefore, Craft Smart Acrylic Paint may be poisonous and lead to major health issues if taken in big quantities.

There is no reason to be alarmed even if they just drink a tiny bit. Get them to clean their teeth, drink a lot of water, and perhaps gargle with some saltwater as you wash the leftover paint from their lips.

Simply keep an eye on the youngster and let the paint run through their system if you see any adverse responses. However, if they have ingested a significant amount of paint or if it goes into their eyes, call your local poison control center or doctor right away.

Do Craft Smart Acrylic Paints Become Toxic When Heated?

Yes, when thermoplastics like dried acrylic paints are heated, they can release some hazardous or dangerous gasses at a specific temperature.

So it is better not to keep any of such paint near a heated area. Otherwise, slow fumes from these paints can affect you badly. 

Over To You

We are at the end of the article and I tried to clarify the fact that Craft Smart acrylic paint is not toxic until it gets inside your body and over your soft face.

It is naturally harmless but everything that I have explained above will help you to handle acrylic paint more carefully.

Please let me know in the comment section below if you have any further queries. It is always an open platform for sharing knowledge with you. 

Further Readings

Acrylic Painting Myth: Acrylic Paint is Non-Toxic
Is Acrylic Paint Toxic? – A Guide on the Key Acrylic Paint Ingredients
Is Acrylic Paint Toxic? – All about Acrylic Paint Toxins
Is Acrylic Paint Toxic or Safe? 23 Brands Toxicity Included
Is Acrylic Paint Toxic?

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply