Can You Turn Acrylic Paint Into Water Paint?
Have you wondered whether your new acrylic paint can convert into watercolor or not? But you need not to look far because I am here with the answer. Well, I had the same thoughts which made me look for a perfect answer that I will explain below.
Can You Turn Acrylic Paint Into Water Paint? I feel happy to say that acrylic paint of all types can 100% turn into watercolor. It can dry permanently on any surface giving a wash effect over it. To do so, you need to add water or a thinning medium to your desired acrylic paint. But be aware while adding water as too much of it then the composition might change a lot.
Keep reading to explore more about acrylic paint and some ways to actually turn your paint into watercolor.
Can You Turn Acrylic Paint Into Water Paint?
Turning acrylic paint into our very own watercolor is not rocket science. All you have to do is add water or fluid medium to the acrylic of your choice.
Even if you’ve never used acrylic paint before, utilizing acrylic paint as watercolor paints won’t present any difficulties for you.
The primary factor is that acrylic paints behave largely like traditional watercolors. In actuality, certain unique acrylic colors behave like watercolors right out of the package.
Acrylic paints are water-soluble paints, just like conventional watercolors. They can dissolve and thin in water because of this.
Benefits Of Using Acrylic As Watercolor
As you can use acrylic paint as watercolor by now you should also know all the benefits of such paint. To be honest, watercolor made out of acrylic paint has more promising features and I will discuss them below in detail.
Acrylic paint is widely known to be non-toxic which is why when to make water paint out of it, this remains safe for use even by kids. And you can simply wipe it out with a damp cloth after painting so it will not harm your skin as well.
Now you already know acrylic paint is best for layering on any portrait. Even if you dial down the paint consistency, it will still create layers and you will get better illustration using such watery paint.
According to artists, the most long-lasting paint for painters is high-quality acrylic paint. It never fades because it is held strong.
They are also believed to be good and useful in their flexibility. It’s almost like you get the most handy way to spread out on your paper. While painting, you also have the most influence over it. So, even if the paint is in a watery state it will be under your control with accuracy.
The wet acrylic paint is incredibly versatile. You may paint the entire thing on any surface free of oil and wax by using this paint.
Acrylic settles more securely than watercolor painting even on surfaces like wood, earth, watercolor canvas, plastic, and metal. They dry quickly, making them very suited and versatile.
You can customize the color’s density since the paint is water-soluble. You can mix the water appropriately based on the work you’re doing. You can also remove it by washing your hands or clothing in water.
When compared to water-based acrylic paints, the acrylic color’s vibrancy and texture are undoubtedly the best.
When you see an acrylic and watercolor painting, you can tell the difference immediately. The genuine feel of the image is more accurately captured by acrylic color.
Speaking of accessibility, acrylic color is available in a variety of formats. There are tubes, bowls, containers, etc. available for them. They are typically sold in boxes since it is simpler to remove them from there and adjust the mix.
Tools You Need To Turn Acrylic Paint Into Watercolor
Turning Acrylic paint into water paint may seem an easy work to you but you will still need some tools to accomplish your work with ease.
|Product||Name Of Product|
|Acrylic Paints (Fluid Acrylic)||ARTEZA Craft Acrylic Paint|
|Acrylic Paints (Heavy Body)||Liquitex Professional Acrylic Paint|
|Watercolor Palette||Darice, Skil Art 20 Wells Color Mixing Palette|
|Watercolor Brushes||Soucolor Acrylic Paint Brushes Set|
|Flow Aid||Liquitex Professional Effects Medium|
|Thinning Medium||Liquitex BASICS Matte Fluid Medium|
- Fluid Acrylics: This type of acrylic is soft body paint which means by adding water you can simply turn it into watercolor.
- Heavy Body: Adding too much water to a heavy body or thick acrylic can sometimes result in runny paint that loses consistency. So, to turn such paint into watercolor just try using flow aid or thinner.
- A palette is always helpful to mix paint and other mediums. You have so many colors to work with so a better palette is a must for you.
- Brushes with synthetic bristles are quite effective while mixing any paint with water. They easily do not lose shape and come in different sizes that you can use to apply watercolor from acrylic on any surface.
Thin Acrylic With Flow Aid
- If you think thinning acrylic paint with water can be risky then try out a better quality flow aid or thinning medium. They will not lower the vibrancy of acrylic but will let the paint flow like water color.
How To Make Water Paint Out Of Acrylic Paint
There are some easy ways to make water paint out of acrylic paint. I will explain them all below so that you can choose your convenient method.
- In essence, a watercolor wash is a technique frequently used to create a seamless background for your watercolor painting.
- Once your desk is ready, use a brush to wet the paper.
- You take your acrylic paint in a palette and then stir the paint with a wet brush.
- Slowly work on your color and then you will get the wash effect after the paint dries.
- If you think your paint is not thin yet then add more water but little by little.
Blending With Watercolor
- Typically, it is done on moist paper so that the acrylic paint and watercolors can blend together.
- Just after liquefying your acrylic you can blend it with existing watercolor and draw on the wet surface.
- On the paper, this results in a delicate pattern.
Mixing With Thinning Medium
- Add one part flow aid with 20 part water in a bottle or cup.
- Tape down a paper and start any sort of painting on it with your acrylic.
- Load your brush with the mixture of flow aid and water and dip into acrylic.
- Paint your design and add finishing touch to it with different colors.
Suggested Materials You May Need
#1 ARTEZA Craft Acrylic Paint : (Recommended Acrylic Paint)
ARTEZA Craft Acrylic Paint will give the best classic look to your decorative objects at your house. It is easy to apply as watercolor and dry with great flexibility.
Personally I like this product because it sits permanently and you will find it hard to wash off with water.
As per some reviewers, this paint can show different shades over the canvas and other stuff which looks quite interesting. Some even use this paint as watercolor by just adding water to it.
Keep this product on your deck and apply it on your belongings whenever you need.
#2 Liquitex BASICS Matte Fluid Medium : (Recommended Fluid Medium)
Liquitex BASICS Matte Fluid Medium is preferable to increase the translucency of acrylic paints without affecting their color intensity and vibrancy.
They are highly versatile and that is why I recommend them to you. Users say that it enhances the flow of acrylic paints which you can use for acrylic pouring and fluid art like watercolor.
Try out this amazing product and ease your experience of painting with acrylic.
Over To You
So mates, we are at the end of the article and I believe you have loved the way I explained every possible way to turn acrylic paint into watercolor. I know you may need to work a little extra but I bet it will be worth it.
If you have any further queries, type down your problem in the comment section below. I will try my best to get back with a proper answer as soon as possible.
How to Use Acrylic Paint for Watercolor
Can You Make Watercolor Paint from Acrylic?
How To Achieve Watercolor Effects With Acrylics
What Is The Best Way To Turn Acrylic Paint Into Watercolor Paint?
Can You Use Acrylic Paint for Watercolor?